Polish Society of Social Psychology (PSPS) was founded in September of 2004 and formally
was registered in February of 2005. New people have been joining constantly and currently. Now we have about 100 members.
Besides Poles, some members from Ukraine have recently joined our organization.
In 2007, a section of Political Psychology was established.
The most important of the Society's activities are:
- Organizing annual conventions (since 2004)
- Issuing series of monographical books "Social Psychology"; so far two of them have been published: "Społeczne scieżki poznania" (Social Paths of Cognition in 2005) and "Różne oblicza altruizmu" (Different Aspects of Altruism in 2007).
- Issuing peer-reviewed quarterly "Psychologia Społeczna" (Social Psychology; since 2006); abstracts in English:
vol 1 (2006);
vol 2 (2006);
vol 3 (2007);
vol 4 (2007);
A glimpse of history:
Foundation of Polish Society of Social Psychology (PSPS) was a milestone in the development of social psychology in Poland.
Polish psychologists played important role in integration of the European social psychologists and especially in setting up European Association of Experimental Social Psychology (EAESP) in late '60s. Prof. Stanisław Mika, one of the founders of EAESP, was honoured in its chronicle. Polish scientists, as Stanisław Mika, Janusz Grzelak, Maria Jarymowicz, and since 2005 Bogdan Wojciszke, have been members of the EAESP management. Moreover, Janusz Grzelak, Jerzy Trzebiński, Maria Lewicka and Bogdan Wojciszke were involved in editing European Journal of Social Psychology, one of the most important journal in this field in Europe.
Objectives of the Society:
Our main goal is to foster development of social psychology and integration of the scientists working in the field.
We strive to reach such goal mainly through:
- Issuing a journal and books regarding social psychology
- Organizing conferences, seminars and workshops
- Popularizing and disseminating social psychology in mass media
- Working on improving quality of higher education
- Conducting research, consulting, training, etc.
- Providing opinions on legal acts and events concerning science and its applications